Re: [NTLK] Wireless Access on a DLink network?

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 12:49:45 EDT

Greg Cimmarrusti wrote not long ago (4/25/02 12:33 PM):

> I know that Newtons can connect to a Apple Airport network, but I have a
> pc-based DLink wireless network at home and I would really like to use my
> Newton wirelessly while at home. Any suggestions on particular cards,
> drivers, hints, etc? All help is extremely welcomed.

I'm sure you've seen some of the list discussion already; if not, do a bit
of searching to get yourself grounded. Then, grab yourself a Lucent WaveLAN
Silver card (Rev A, probably on eBay, although I've read of other sellers
here). Finally, download and install Hiroshi Noguchi's driver (currently at
alpha3, available at http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm).

Your Newton should work with wireless access points which are compliant with
the 802.11b (WiFi) standard. Just follow the same configuration guidelines
as for the AirPort base station (Network name of 'Newton', no encryption, no
password protection, Channel 11) and you should be fine.

If your base station or cable/DSL modem is serving DHCP on your network, and
you're successful in configuring your base station as shown above, your
configuration will be very simple.

--Jesse