Re: [NTLK] Proper Steps for a Brain Wipe

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 09:53:34 EDT

on 26-04-2002 3:23, David Abramowitz at underdog_at_erols.com wrote:

> That said, the FAQ doesn't say anything about backing up data only
> (unchecking Backup all Apps), but I've seen some of you discuss this before.
> So my question is what are the proper steps for a backup/brain wipe/restore?

Make one (or better once you're having problems, two) fresh (!) backups.
(so don't update any existing backups, with NCU and NBU record not a good
idea)
Next do your brainwipe with any memory card(s) removed
(you can wipe the card separately afterwards)

Now you can restore everything or just data, I would try everything first,
if problems persist wipe once more and restore only data, if it's really bad
restore without the system info.

Now just data means installing all your packages again and just system info
means entering all you registration codes again.

But before you do any of this, start up with exptensions off and see if the
problem persists, if it doesn't deactivate one store at the time, that way
you mind find out what the problem is without needing to do a brainwipe at
all.

Robert Benschop