Re: [NTLK] ADSP on MacOSX

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 12:17:41 EDT

On 26/04/02 12:01, "Mitch" <happyjack_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Oh yeah. Those tricky DILs! Why don't we just rewrite those things and
> declare our functions and >BAM< we'll be connected in OSX!
>
> ::mitch:: (Who only develops film - at WalMart.)
>
> On Friday, April 26, 2002, at 09:50 AM, Gianni Ceccarelli wrote:
>
>> This might be of interest to developers only...
>>
>> I have discovered this little undocumented "feature":
>> On the MacOSX volume, folder
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/AppleTalk.framework
>> , there's a (link to a) file called 'AppleTalk'. It's a dynamic
>> library, with (among others) functions for using ADSP, ASP, ATP, DDP,
>> ZIP, NBP, PAP, i.e. most of the AppleTalk protocols (AFP is
>> implemented in two other libraries, which are well documented).
>>
>> Now, if I (we) can just find out the declaration for those functions,
>> I think we should be able to use ADSP on MacOSX to connect to our
>> newtons. PROVIDED THAT we rewrite the DILs, of course ;-)

Because you would also have to write the docking or connection application
on the Newton. And if you would have to completely erase the internal
memory, you might have some problems. That's why we would need to rewrite
the DILs, to deal with whatever communication protocol the Dock application
wants to establish, which is currently undocumented. Paul Guyot did some
reverse engineering work, but we're still lacking a lot of information...

-Laurent.