Re: [NTLK] Contact Managers

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 07:20:46 EDT

>On 4/28/02 @ 7:22 PM, Tony Kan wrote:
>
>Tried researching contact managers for the Newt that
>work compatibly with the existing Names and Dates apps.
>
>The short list is
>
>Act! for Newton
>MoreInfo
>TimeTrax
>
>Tried reading up on reviews but most of the links to
>reviews seem to be dead. Has anyone done this before
>and compared these three packages?
>
>At this stage MoreInfo is the leader in the pack because
>it looks like it stores its contact and PIM info in the
>same databases as the standard apps.

I think it depends on how you work. I've tried all three over the years,
but TT and MI as of late.

Before I get started, I should state that I am Newt based/centric. I use
MP2x00 devices. I do not sync, nor import/export my calendar or contact
info to my PC/Mac. I backup my Newt to my desktop Mac. And I store my
info on my cards and not on the internal memory/store.

For me, I found TimeTrax to be invaluable. It works well. It is a
calendar/schedule app and does not deal with contact information.

It uses the same data as the DATE application. In fact, when I switched
Newts, I forgot to move my PW over. It expired on me, but the DATE
application kept working just fine displaying all data until I could
re-enter the PW for TimeTrax.

IMHO, TimeTrax gives a much better pictorial representation for the Month
and Week (two versions) which I find invaluable for me work. It also has
a nice day overview.

TT is the first program that has allowed me to not carry a paper version
of my calendar with me.

I tired More Info, through the NewtonTalk purchase deal. I tried it for
a while. Then my Newt had problems. I am not sure that they were the
result of MI or not. MI seemed okay, but I found myself using TT most of
the time.

Is TimeTrax perfect. Nope. But it does most of what I need and I have
never had a problem with it. Well worth the $ IMHO.

Sushi