[NTLK] Re - Poser adapter

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 16:20:56 EDT

>> I have the Apple power adapter. It works well, but it has an US-style
>> plug. And I only have European-style outlets around. :)

> It will work with any plug adapter, the originals from Apple are just a
very
> elegant solution.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Not about the Apple adapters being a very
elegant solution, but about it working with any plug adapter.
For one, the plug that goes into the Newton must be the correct one, there
are many that won't work although they look almost identical.
Apart from that, it is absolutely essential that the adapter will not output
more than 7.5 volts. Many adapters, especially cheap unregulated ones,
can (depending on the current current consumption of the Newton) output
siginificantly more. Using one of those is about the easiest way available
if
you plan to kill your Newton.

Someone mentioned an adapter to connect the ac adapter to European style
outlets which costs US$15. At that price I could send you an original Apple
ac adapter with a German style plug. Occasionally those surface at eBay for
less than that, too.
I think I also have an adapter lying around of which the plug that goes into
the Newton is defective. I could send you that one for free if you pay for
shipping and you could cut the cable of your adapter and connect it to mine.

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de