Re: [NTLK] Synching - Was [All sorts of stuff]

From: Andy Collins (acollins_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 04:06:02 EDT

Hi Folks,

Decisions, decisions... Which thread to jump in on?

I've been pondering the sync issue for a while now and I've been reading
the latest threads with great interest.

It seems to me that there are many possibilities on offer here. Most of the
discussions center around writing a PC/Mac module to act as a sync conduit
- to pinch a Palm term - between the Newton and a PIM.

The drawback with that approach is the number of PC/Mac options (OSX,9,
Win9x, Win XP and of course Linux) and the number of PIMs on each platform.
I myself use a different combination of OS and PIM at work to that at home.
There are idiosyncrasies on each platform and each require a particular set
of skills. This means it's unlikely a project could be completed that
covers enough of these bases to make many people happy.

One thing that is clear is that the Palm can synch with almost every
combination I've heard of discussed in this group.

I'd like to propose an alternative to the current ideas. Regardless of the
desktop OS we use, we all have something in common... We all have Newtons!
Let's put the effort into the Newton end. If we could come up with some
code on the Newton that makes it talk like a Palm, we would be able to use
that various bits of Palm related syncing software that are already out there!

There are hoards of developers chasing round making sure Palm devices can
sync with their PIM and there are developer writing new PIMs and bits that
will talk to Palms. Let's get the Newt talking like a Palm. We've only got
one platform and two versions of the OS to worry about. The comms specs are
out there as are plenty of bits of GPL'd code to serve as examples.

What do you think?

Cheers.

Andy.