Re: [NTLK] Video Display Controller

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 10:49:50 EDT

No one has any real technical info, because the chipset specs are locked
away at Apple and Cirrus Logic. The chipset is known as the "Voyager",
was developed by Cirrus Logic, and does many things, including:

-LCD control (framebuffer, I guess)
-PCMCIA controller
-DMA?
-IR?

Paul has a better idea of what it does.

As for where in memory it resides: Prism Research has some excellent tools
that you can use in order to do lots of mean and nasty things to your
Newton - look at cfkac/chARM and nsScribe:

http://hometown.aol.com/newtsprism

Kip Knight, the Prism Research guy, has done a lot of this mapping and
posted his stuff to the comp.sys.newton.programmer newsgroup - but I can't
find the entire memory map right now. I did find the location of the screen
though:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D8vcdnk%249cf%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

Oh, and here's the map:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D8uc0t7%24rs2%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

There are also QuickDraw routines somewhere in the ROM (I don't believe
anyone's found them yet) that the Newton uses to draw things so darn fast.
The only app to use them directly was Fractor, a fractal generator written
by an ex-Newton team member:

http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/Fractor0.1/

I guess if you had cfkac/chARM and a **lot** of time and ability to read
ARM assembler, and a working knowledge of the low-level NOS structure, you
could find out how to call these routines.

Also, check out the Newton Bowels project:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/bowels/

-- Victor