[NTLK] OT: Whence "genitive s" (='s)? (Was: AUGUST UPDATE)

From: Chris Searles (csearles_at_netcologne.de)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 17:00:51 EDT

>This Old Newt can be found at www.thisoldnewt.net until our old domain
>is in our control again.

Was just looking at Rick's site and noticed that it says: "This Months
(sic!) Feature" and was just wondering what has become of the "genitive
s" (='s) in American English. My mother is English and lives in the
States and she's always struck by its absence everywhere you go in the US.

I'm not trying to be mean to Rick, but was just curious if his oversight
is really that typical of a more general trend.

So, here's one for the linguistically interested on the list to share
their thoughts on...

Chris Searles