[NTLK] multiple minidin ports in a stand idea

From: Geoffrey Hall (bypass_at_ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 08:58:39 EDT

Hi all,

I was thinking of performing surgery on my newt and installing a
minidin and building a rechargable battery using the alkaline battery
cage as described on some of the newt sites when I came up with an
idea which I thought I'd better bounce around more knowledgeable people
before completely destroying my newt.

I was toying with the idea of drilling holes out of the newt case
bottom and creating contacts and soldering wires for the ac adapter
and minidin. The contacts go between
the 2 elevated footpads on the same side as the port door (like on
mobile phones).

Then, if I cannibalised a desklamp (such as one from Ikea with funky
frosted green plastic) that has a really heavy base, I'd create a
stand with matching contacts 2 for AC power and 8 for the minidin.

On the side of the stand/lamp
I could create 4 minidin ports out connected in parallel to the
minidin contacts in, and power input for the newt ac
adapter. I would have a keyboard , printer, (+/- serial modem)and PC
serial attached to the parallel minidins.

When I needed to recharge, sync, print, type a document, etc, I could just drop the
newt onto the stand and it happens/connects instantly. Is this
***possible*** ????

Geoff