[NTLK] New policy re: failing addresses

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 15:47:34 EDT

Hey everyone. Sorry about the outage again. If anyone works at Verizon,
please let us know... :)

Anyways, I just wanted to appraise you of a new thing I've been doing for
the past little while. Every day eCartis, our list software send me a
report of errors it had while sending messages. Once an address has an
error, it's put on the list. If it doesn't have another error within a
day, it goes off the list. This way I can see what's going on without
having to sift through hundreds of messages, and temporary or transient
errors sort themselves out.

Any addresses that stays on the error reports for a long time is most
likely dead. So I've started to remove addresses that have been on the
errors list for more than 30 days, and have been experiencing "fatal"
errors, such as invalid addresses, or MX hosts. I'll be adding this fact
to the FAQ soon, I just wanted to let y'all know.