[NTLK] OT: The apostrophe...

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 08:22:43 EDT

**The apostrophe**

There are just two reasons to use an apostrophe:

1. To indicate omission.

What's (what is) for Dinner?
I could've (could have) danced all night.
It's (it is) time to eat.
It's been (it has) been a scorcher today.

2. To indicate possession.

This is Bill's hat (Bill owns the hat; it is the hat of Bill).
There is mud all over John's shoes (There is one John and he owns the shoes).

When the apostrophe is used with a plural noun:

In the lions' den.
More than one lion owns the den, so the apostrophy comes after the 's'
(This is the den of the Lions).

Generally:

If there is one owner - add an apostrophy and then 's'.
For two or more owners - add 's' then an apostrophe.

EXCEPTIONS

For words which form their plural by changing internal letters (instead of adding 's')
the apostrophe comes before the 's'.

It was the people's idea.

People is already plural, so we don't need to make it a double plural by adding 's' apostrophe. We do need to show
possession though hence the apostrophy 's'.

In the case of 'double possession' - where two or more people (or subjects) own one item and both (or all) of their
names are said, the apostrophe is applied to the last name only.

Bill and Ted's excellent adventure.

The apostrophe is not used with possessive pronouns.

The bird's feathers were ruffled. (The bird owns the feathers).
The bird ruffled its feathers. (The bird owns the feathers, but the pronoun 'its' is being used instead of the noun, so
there is no apostrophe.

To avoid the incorrect use of it's and its simply ask yourself if the words 'it is' can be substituted in the sentence -
is so, then put an apostrophe in.

The bird ruffled its (it is) feathers. (no)

It's (it is) a lovely day. (yes)

PCBman (Englishman)