Re: [NTLK] eMate backlight

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 06:38:31 EDT

David,

> I recently bought an eMate with screen problems, opened it up and found the
> dreaded "spring-stuck-through-the-ribbon-cable" problem.

If you can solder or know someone who can, you might like to look at my pdf
which describes one approach to repairing the cable at
<http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton.html>. The repair I made
with this technique is still holding up after a few months of use.

> Anyway, the backlight was working before I opened the case, and now it is
> not. Could broken tracks on the ribbon cable account for this problem? Or
> have I done some other damage?

The power to the backlight does not pass through the display cable but via a
pair of red and black wires threaded through the other hinge. One of the
wires may have been pinched, cut or come away at one end. There is nothing
special about these wires and the repair is straight forward.

Joel.