Re: [NTLK] Ideas on a Newton Replacement OS

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.net)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 02:15:51 EDT

on 13/08/02 23:42, Aaron Jon Reichow at reichowa_at_tcfreenet.org wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> ** This is just barely off-topic. If you're are easily offended by **
> ** by anything that isn't 100% Newton, please skip this message. :) **
>
> I've been a Newton user for 4 years or so. It's been a great ride, but due
> to financial pressures combined with my personal usage patterns, I told my
> Newton 2100u to someone on this list. For one, I'm very glad I sold it to
> the woman I did rather than eBaying it. :)
>
> For the last year or two, I've been pondering about what I want out of a
> PDA and a computing environment in general. To date, Newton OS 2.1 is
> about the closest thing I've found to what I imagine to be the perfect
> computing environment for me. It falls short in a few areas, so for the
> last few months, I've been working on Dynapad [1], which aims to be the
> perfect computing environment for me, yet flexible and dynamic enough that
> it can be molded into whatever any end-user feels is perfect for her.
>
> This project isn't like GNUton, a clone/emulation of the Newton OS, nor is
> it aiming to have the same aesthetic (however, that is planned, but down
> the line).
>
> Toward this end, I'd like to get input from developers about what they
> don't like about the Newton OS. From developers, especially information
> about what they don't like about the Soup API, as I plan on having a
> similar method of storing data (files suck).
>
> Down the line, I'll be interested in what users want out of a truly
> personal and dynamic PDA, but right now it's all about getting a solid
> foundation. However, feel free to email me about it, I'll stash it away
> and look at it later.
>
> [1] You can read about the current state of Dynapad (including
> screenshots) at <http://dynapad.swiki.net/1>. It's far from done, and so
> far is mostly just the bootstrap to the 'real' Dynapad, moving toward a
> system where I'll be able to actually write Dynapad completely on a PDA,
> with no need for a desktop.

What platform are you planning to use? Or which machine?

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:nemesys_at_cox.net

flamage /flay'm*j/ n.: [very common] Flaming verbiage, esp. high-noise, low-signal postings to Usenet or other electronic fora. Often in the phrase `the usual flamage'. `Flaming' is the act itself; `flamage' the content; a `flame' is a single flaming message. See flame, also dahmum.