Re: [NTLK] Shareware "issues"

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 11:15:13 EDT

Matt Tracey <mtracey_at_telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Are companies really still asking shareware fees for software that
> hasn't been updated in 5+ years? I'm especially interested in all the
> neat Newt software made by StandAlone (http://www.standalone.com/) But
> it appears they still want 20 to 30 dollars for almost every piece of
> their shareware. Is this correct?

<SNIP>

> So does anybody know what I do in this situation? I have no real
> objection to paying shareware fees but in this instance it seems kind of
> absurd. Paying fees for shareware that isn't going to ever be updated...
> For a platform that is, in terms of money-making prospects, pretty much
> dead. Does anybody see where I'm coming from?

No, it's still their intellectual property and they have the right to
ask whatever price they choose. Have you tried e-mailing StandAlone and
asking if they will offer you a discount, for the reasons you are citing
here? If you have a particular situation that might compel them to
discount for you, such as that you are a student with limited income,
work for a nonprofit, etc., you might mention that too.

More Folders, Super Note Pad, and Backdrop Plus are well worth the
asking price in my opinion. If you don't think so, make Standalone
another offer. If you can't come to terms on a price, make your own or
do without.

> I searched through the archives a bit and I've found mention of a crack
> for NewtFTP since the company seems to have long ago gone out of
> business. I was able to find that crack without too much difficulty but
> I don't know what to do in this case. Do I shell out the cash? Do I
> start looking for a serial/crack? Or do I just abandon a large portion
> of cool Newton software?

Tactile is indeed a difficult case. They have proven highly difficult to
contact over the years. You might consider making a good-faith attempt
to pay for NewtFTP. If you can't find anyone willing to take your money
for their software, let your conscience guide you as to whether to use
the crack or not.

In my case, I bought NewtFTP a long time ago but then lost the ability
to use it because "brain-wiping" my Newton zapped the Tactile
registration data. It was a pretty easy decision for me to go ahead and
use the Tactile crack for this program since I had paid for it anyway.

Regardless of the state of Newton, hardworking, talented shareware
authors deserve the fruits of their labors I think.

Good luck,

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD            |   Americans practice different faiths
in