Re: [NTLK] An eBay eMate with no touch screen response!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 17:47:09 EDT

On 21/08/02 17:29, "Richard Harbottle" <r.harbottle_at_ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Well, I bought an eMate from eBay. It was cheap and of course (sadly) the
> seller says it's fine but "sold as seen". Mark Ross from NuShield has
> provided me with his fantastic "forwarding" service and has taken possession
> of my eMate before sending it onwards to the UK. Mark says the machine is in
> great condition but, there is no response from the screen to touch. I guess
> that this poor machine is suffering from the hinge-spring-through-the
> -display-cable trauma. So, should I continue and have Mark send it onwards
> to "Europe" ? Is there a hope that I could fix the cable and restore its
> stylus sensitivity? Or, should I give up and face the fact that my new
> translucent baby is not worth the shipping costs?
> I will follow the advice of the crowd.

I wish there would be a fix for that problem. I'm guessing that someone
could make some money by manufacturing somehow a replacement cable. Didn't
Mr. PCBMan say that he was working on some solution, not so long ago? I, for
one, would go for one, if the price was reasonable (meaning less than buying
another eMate)...

-Laurent.

C Programmer's Disease n.: The tendency of the undisciplined C programmer to
set arbitrary but supposedly generous static limits on table sizes (defined,
if you're lucky, by constants in header files) rather than taking the
trouble to do proper dynamic storage allocation.