Re: [NTLK] Newton-Windows connection problems

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 02:14:03 EDT

If a serial connection is done in a proper way you have a so called
handshake: that means if any of the devices connected cannot deliver the
requested data it will flag the handshake signal and the other device will
wait patiently until the opponent gets ready or the timeout occurs.
This ensures that no matter of the processing power of the devices you want
to connect, they can communicate without problems.

Unfortunately this is not the case for NCU Win. This connection seems to be
strongly dependent on the processing power of the PC: the faster the PC the
less patient it behaves for receiving data from the Newt.
But there is a workaround. There is a small application called slowdown.exe
you need to launch (even in multiple instances for very fast machines) in
order to use most of the processing power for that process. Then the PC is
much slower in polling the serial interface and the connection to the Newt
appears to be more stable.

Johannes