Re: [NTLK] Wired Newton Article Out

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 06:19:39 EDT

on 8/29/02 6:43 PM, Philip Bennett at pbnt_at_mac.com wrote:

> To say that one
> of the major motivating, and binding, factors for the Newton community is
> the constantly recurring rumor that Apple is going to revive the Newton or
> come out with a new PDA, I think, misses the point. I think most of us are
> supportive of each other because of this great little PDA we already have.

I find the article a bit surprising. My impression of the research by Muniz
and Schau, when I participated in the survey was that he, at least, was also
a Newton user. Maybe _his_ use of the Newton is based upon some dream of a
rebirth, but mine isn't. I can say this, however. There has yet to be a PDA
that works as my Newton does. Until and unless a decent replacement comes, I
will continue to use my Newton. In my mind, there is really only one company
that could produce a likely candidate--Apple.** This is probably primarily
why the rumors get treated as they do. I will accept that their perspective
of the three groups, and how they react on the list is pretty humorously
true, however. :-)

You do have to admit that the way the list reacts to the rumors could
certainly give the impression that it is this sort of thing that holds the
community together (Yet it seems to me to be the exact opposite. Whenever we
discuss it, we get into big fights.) :-)

I say that Muniz and Schau need to go back to their drawing board, and look
a little deeper than the rumors. They should also compare the Amiga
community and the Psion community to look at the similarities and
differences between them and this community. It is only when you see the
similarities and differences that you begin to see what makes the Newton
community what it is--and no, I don't think I have a handle on it either--I
don't pay any attention to the Amiga and Psion. :-)

**Although I have been looking into the Sony/Erricsson P800, and it's
looking pretty good... :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland