Re: [NTLK] Solar charger

From: Scott Clitheroe (scott_at_clitheroe.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 11:25:48 EST

That's not specifically a Newton charger, it's a more general power source
intended to recharge, or even power, low wattage devices like cell phones,
PDA's, portable CD players, etc. Not only was the item misrepresented, but
I'm pretty certain the buyer overpaid - I'm certain I've seen the item in
Mountain Equipment Co-Op for a lot less (although the MSRP is $95). Also,
given the supposedly strict power requirements of Newtons, I wouldn't trust
anything solar with them, no matter how well regulated they are. Finally,
this thing only pumps out 2.2 watts max - it's not going to charge anything
terribly quickly (although I still think it's a really neat gadget - I've
been eyeing these for a while)

Check it out here:
http://www.brunton.com/catalog.php?show_more_info=yes&item_id=51&subcategory
_id=&category_id=8&old_item_id=51&old_subcategory_id=&old_category_id=8

Actually, check out the rest of Brunton's site - they make some nice stuff
for the outdoors types.

Finally, what's the deal with with people mis-representing Newton items -
surely we aren't that big a demographic, are we??

-Scott