Re: [NTLK] eMate vs Alphasmart Dana

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 18:30:48 EST

Brian Pearce <bpearce_at_cloud9.net> wrote:

> There's a strange sort of instant reaction here just
> about every time someone mentions a Palm OS-based device;
> I can't help but wonder how much of it is criticism from
> experience etc.

   I've never owned a Palm OS device but I have taken a look at them at various times and not been impressed. You get a screen that can only be described as miniscule and a toothpick to stab at it with.
   They eat your data if you let the batteries run down or you don't change them quickly enough. And, if you have one that uses real batteries (not rechargables), they are those not-available-everywhere AAA cells that are more expensive than the generally available AA.

   Granted, Palm devices are small and easy to carry, but I also know several Palm users who have destroyed their machines by forgetting they had them in a back pocket when they sat down.
   Palm is also fully supported by software manufacturers, another major plus.

   But IMHO the Newton functions better as a standalone computer (the way I use the Newt) than the Palm.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html