Re: [NTLK] Newton R&D was: newtontalk Digest V2 #832

From: Andre Beckedorf (Newton_at_Beckedorf.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 18:37:14 EST

| Building our own hardware, even from Compaq's plans, would cost more
| than what current hardware costs unless we build dozens of thousands.
| Plus once this hardware will die, we'll be nearly at the start point.

I quite agree with Paul's opinion. It think, building some kind of emulator
is more realistic and doable as building own custom hardware. Just imagine
the high development costs! Let me put it a little more ironicly: You can't
simply take your soldering iron and solder some chips onto a PCB and hope it
works. There is so much, that needs to be done and thought about before
you'll see any of those things in reality. And you really need to find
people buying this type of new hardware, as it will only become cheap if
thousands of units are built - as Paul already pointed out. The development
costs for such an attempt can't come from any Newton Fund, it's just too
much.
And: You won't even find any big player company supporting this type of
project. Just take a look at G-Mate, they developed their own Linux-based
PDA, called Yopy, built by Samsung and did they really succeed? They had big
problems with their customers and Samsung!
And even then we'll have to develop some custom operating system and/or
write an emulator!
So, we're really better off developing only an emulator that runs natively
on already available StrongARM/XScale based PocketPCs, like iPaq or Jornada.
And even then there will be development costs (buying iPaqs etc.), high
level of difficulties and times of big headaches.

| Plus between a dead Newton and a working PocketPC with a color but
| smaller screen running NewtonOS on top of NetBSD-hpcarm-big-endian,
| what would you choose? :)

Gimme that NewtonOS-NetBSD/hpcarm-big-endian-PocketPC-beauty :)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html