[NTLK] English dictionary with phonetic spelling / phonetic (old)

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 03:36:00 EST

on 20-11-2001 7:21, Paul Guyot at pguyot_at_kallisys.net wrote:

> DictMgr is not here to let you use custom package dictionaries (such
> as DictNL, BR, EE, DK, FR, IT). These packages don't need anything to
> be used.
> DictMgr is just there to play with ROM dictionaries (mostly
> deactivate them)

But if one uses it to (in my case) deactivate the internal, English,
dictionary so that it uses the Dutch one you tell us that it actually not
doing anything at that moment?

But if I deactivate the ROM dictionary (the English one) I should get an
advantage out of it, no? (since it will only use the Dutch one in that case)

>> From: "Markus Rasch" <m.rasch_at_gmx.net>
>>
>> But I would prefer an additional installed dictionary, not to
>> disable the internal. So
>> that my german MP will understand german AND english.
>
> This is the default behavior. And if you only want the ROM
> dictionary, just freeze the dictionary package.

Freezing the dictionary package will give you 'just' the English dictionary
but how can you get the use of just the installed dictionary without
DictMngr?

> DictMgr will let you have only the package dictionary (i.e. disable
> the ROM dictionaries). It's *not* required to use package
> dictionaries. In fact, I would suggest not to install DictMgr if you
> don't want to have an improved recognition by disabling the ROM
> dictionaries.

But isn't that exactly what users of custom dictionaries want?

As an extra remark, since we were discussing spell checkers... ;-)

It turns out that if I turn off the internal dictionary that SAS's SpellMan
actually uses the Dutch dictionary.
(I don't know about other spell checkers)

So I can even choose the language for spell checking, seems that that could
be interesting for other users as well...
(do you ever have to spell check German letters, Ed?)

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html