Re: [NTLK] eMate disassembly

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 19:53:39 EST

> Over thanksgiving, I opened up my eMate with the help of Joel's (and
> Frank's?) excellent eMate hinge repair PDF

The pdf is entirely Joel's creation, all I did for it was suggest a slightly
different wording here and there.

> 1. You forgot to tell us to desolder the speaker connections.

The pdf is currently a bit outdated. Joel is working on a new version
I think. Until then you might want to bookmark

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html

for further reference. There you find in-detail instructions of how to take
the eMate apart, and it also tells you to desolder the speaker wires :-)

> But I just desoldered both
> pairs, and found one was speaker, and the other was power.

Nope, the other one is the backlight wires. The power is applied through a
connector soldered to the motherboard.

> 2. I did this to my eMate as *preventative* maintenance, and as such,
> had no need to open the display housing. However I had already taken the
> display halfway apart before I realized this!

I am perfectly aware of that. The problem was (and is) that I can't take pictures
that are as good as what Joel can take. We both noticed there is a logical "gap"
in these instructions, and my "friendly nagging" has made Joel take a set of supplementary
pictures which arrived in the form of a CD today. Stay tuned.

However, just in case the hinge springs are as bad as they can be, you'd have to take
out the springs anyway, for this it would definitely make sense to remove the display
first thing and store it in a safe place.

Cheers

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html