[NTLK] "Jaggies" reports, please?

From: adam baker (adam_at_merges.net)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 17:40:07 EST

Greetings all

I am experiencing a pretty nasty case of the Jaggies on a MessagePad
2100 I purchased last month from JK Sales. My old MessagePad 2000 had a
less-severe case.

As part of my troubleshooting on this issue, I'd like to compile data
about what symptoms people have observed and possible solutions. I plan
to analyze the data and try to produce a matrix of symptoms and
configuration information, to extend what's already in the Newton
public domain.

If any of you have experienced Jaggies, if you'd be willing, please
forward the following information to me (off-list is fine, I'm sure):

1a) MessagePad model and detailed indication of physical condition
(especially case and screen)

1b) MessagePad power sources used when Jaggies were experienced (AA
alkalines, NiMH battery, AC adapter)

1c) PCMCIA cards used when Jaggies were experienced

2a) What region(s) of the screen Jaggies were experienced in

2b) Whether or not you experienced a gradual "aligment drift" in
addition to the Jaggies, and its nature

2c) Whether or not you experienced "dead areas" on your touchscreen,
and their nature

2d) Whether or not your Jaggies varied as you applied more or less
pressure to the touchscreen with the pen or your hand, and how so

2e) Whether or not your Jaggies varied as you used the MessagePad
without contacting the case or touchscreen with your body (hands, most
likely) or used the MessagePad while contacting the case or touchscreen
with your body

3a) What physical variations in writing or holding the MessagePad
affected the rate, size, or quantity of Jaggies

3b) Whether or not you tried "separating/cleaning" the space between
the touchscreen and the case by using a thin card, and the result

3c) Whether or not you tried cleaning the ribbon that connects the
touchscreen to the MLB of the MessagePad, and the result

3d) Other "solutions" you tried, and the results

4) Whether or not you had Apple look at the MessagePad, and what they
said or did; also, recent dispatch/case numbers (if you're willing)

Thanks for your help!

adam

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html