[NTLK] What's new?

From: Thomas Tempelmann (listuser_at_tempel.org)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 22:35:06 EST

Hi all,
I just subscribed again for a while after a year or two.

I'd like to catch up with recent news. Is there a web page listing the
important things that happen in the Newton world?

If not, here's what I'm interested to know about - perhaps someone can
tell me:

- What about Paul's Flashcard driver. Has this finally been coming out of
the test phase and is actually usable for both reading and writing?

- Paul also worked on his own replacement for Apple's DIL (software to
interface the Newton's data from a Mac or PC). Did he succeed, especially
in cracking the Dock's communication start (there was a problem with the
encryption IIRC)?

- Has there been any new software for synchronizing Newton with PC/Mac in
the past 2 years? (I had offered my "Newton DIL Tester" to be enhanced by
others - has anything come out of this?)

- I have a Nokia 6310i phone now, and I also have the IrOBEX stack. The
Nokia phone supposedly supports IrOBEX, so that I should be able to
transfer my Names from the Newton to the phone (as vcf's). But it does
not work: They connect, but then the Newton tries to submit the name
forever, coming never to an end. Is this a known problem, or a fix
available?

- What else have I missed in the past 1-2 years? (last thing I remember
was the development of a Mini-Java engine for the Newton)

Thomas

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html