Re: [NTLK] Next steps for NewtSync? My thoughts...

From: John Anderson (dearjohn_at_everchanging.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 14:19:38 EST

I second this. I personally don't want Apple's attention on this one,
because I work for Apple and it could be argued that the work that I'm
doing here belongs to Apple because I didn't declare it as a previous
intellectual property when I started 3 years ago. And if Apple did take
possession of NewtSync, they would most likely scavenge whatever code
they found useful and discontinue the product. It's not likely that
Apple would do this because it's bad PR, but the possibility is out
there.

I have my doubts about a new Newton product being developed. The Newton
developers are no longer at Apple, I've heard that portions of the OS's
source code has been lost (we didn't always have CVS, you know), and it
would be difficult to pick back up in today's market and succeed. Of
course I'm not speaking from any insider knowledge; I work on the Mac
OS X Server team and rarely get information on future products (the
XServe being the only exception... we tested software on it but never
actually got to see the box; it was locked in a closet in another
building somewhere and we had to test it remotely).

The point, however, is that if Apple's management were to "notice"
NewtSync it's just as likely to be a Bad Thing. It's part of the reason
that I'm turning the product into open source as soon as I sell 300
copies; it will help to safeguard the product.

John Anderson
everchanging

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html