[NTLK] DHCP on Win NT4 server

From: m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 10:53:32 EST

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my Newton on the internet at work by plugging into the LAN
and using DHCP. We have a Windows NT4 server here and all our workstations are
running NT4. I looked in the Networking control panel on my workstation, and
it seems to be set up for DHCP (i.e. they are not using static IPs). When I
try it with my Newton, I get the "connecting to internet" and "your IP address
is x.x.x.x." dialogs - in other words it looks like everything's going fine -
but then it can't resolve any addresses with either SimpleMail or NewtsCape.
So (in my dumb layperson mind) it's as if it's getting an IP address but it's
not talking to any name server.

The Newton works fine at home with the DHCP server in my router.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Or could there be something about the way
the NT server is configured that prevents my Newt from getting on-line? (I
hope not the latter, because the NT server is locked up and IT won't give me
any help on this.)

TIA,
Michael

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html