[NTLK] Normalizing phone numbers in Names

From: Thomas Tempelmann (listuser_at_tempel.org)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 13:33:18 EST

I have trouble getting my phone numbers from the Newton into my cell
phone. They biggest problem is that the phone wants all numbers in
international format.

E.g, the number (415) 555 1212 in the U.S. should be:

 +14155551212

and a German number locally written as (089) 12345678 should be:

 +498912345678

Now my questions:

1.
I understand that the Newton does not like to store the names in this
international format, right? I know that AddressAccess can show them
almost in this internat. form, but it probably has to look at the address
(country and city) to figure out the correct writing, right?

2.
Are there any internal provisions (translators) in the Newton OS where
something could be installed to do this conversion system-wide, so that
when I beam a Name (using BackTalk to trf it as a vCard/VCF to my phone),
it gets converted into the international format automatically?

3.
I guess that (2) is not working. So, has someone some NewtonScript code
to share that can do the proper conversion, that is, looking up the
country access code from the address, and so on (because I have no clue
where to find this table)?

I have the source code of BackTalk here, so I could at least enhance its
VCF translator if I had the right code to plug in there.

Thomas

--
Thomas Tempelmann,
http://www.tempel.org/rb/