Re: [NTLK] Internet via proxy?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 23:52:38 EST

Probably the only way you can get the Newt to access
the web is through an ethernet card through your Nat
server on your home network. I've only heard of Newts
communiating network traffc through the serial port to
Macs only...perhaps this is because Macs don't have
"PC" style serial ports (PCs are RS232 and Macs are
RS422)
And about blowing your budget...heck, ethernet cards
for the Newt are going for the price of a few packs of
cigarettes or a few 12-packs of Coke...so, if you can
keep a habit in check, you can get an ethernet card!

As for synching your email...well, connect your Newt
to the POP server and just dump you email onto the
Newt. Set the Newt's email client to leave a copy of
the email on the server. This way when your desktop
makes a connection to the mail server, all the mail
will still be there.

Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Julian Wright <julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi people. I'm a much happier person since my nice
> sniny new MP2100u
> arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. Upgrading
> from the MP120 I
> have been using for the last 7 years is quite
> pleasant - the raw speed
> of seaches and the improved accuracy of handwriting
> being the first
> things I have noticed.
>
> However I'd like to get on the net with my new newt,
> and I seem to be
> having a few troubles. First of all when I plug my
> regular 56k external
> modem into my serial cable (via the 9-25 apple
> adaptor and a gender
> bender) my newt cannot talk to it. Do I also need to
> add a null-modem
> cable in there as well? The serial cable links my
> newt to my PC just
> fine.
>
> Failing the ability to connect directly to a modem
> via the serial port,
> I was hoping I might be able to somehow use my PC as
> a proxy (ie have
> the PC connected to the net and somehow pass on IP
> packets to the newt
> via the serial cable.
>
> A third option, and perhaps the most desirable would
> be to get an
> eterrnet adaptor and hook into my home network,
> which has a modem
> server with NAT on it, but I've just blown my budget
> on the newt itself
> for the moment, so a PCMCIA ethernet card will be
> difficult to pay for
> for a while.
>
> Actually for the moment I'd be just as happy to sync
> my email on the
> newt with Pegasus on my PC, if that were somehow
> possible? But every
> email client for the newt that I have seen seems to
> want to talk
> straight to a POP server or its ilk.
>
> SO
>
> I have a newt, serial connection to a PC, the PC has
> Pegasus mail and
> there is an ethernet with a server with NAT
> available. How can I
> proceed? Surely you don't all use your newt for all
> email and not use
> email on the PC as well?

=====
"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain."
 - Mr. Weasley - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.