Re: [NTLK] OT: I got laid off today

From: Hans Derycke (hans_at_derycke.com)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 00:46:50 EST

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 10:01 PM, Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> BTW, has anyone else noticed that the trend nowadays seems to be that,
> in
> the event of layoffs, the person is shown the door that day (or
> sometimes
> that very hour). Whatever happened to "two weeks notice"? My current
> employer had bucked this trend for a while, allowing folks to take a
> week or
> two to wrap up any loose ends, pass on their records/files to a
> remaining
> employee in an orderly fashion, AND to use the company phones and
> printers
> to try to line up another job. Now, though, there's been changes in
> management and it's the old heave-ho, out the door you go, same-day
> service
> that everyone else seems to favor. Oh well, maybe I'm just old
> fashioned.

Typically, you still get two weeks notice, but you're not asked to come
into the office anymore, or rather, you're asked not to come.

The reason, I believe, is liability and risk. Liability in case you go
postal, risk in what you might do to all the electronic data that you
can get your hands on.

--
Hans Derycke
E pur si muove