Re: [NTLK] Stupid Newt's Cape question time!!!

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 07:14:33 EST

> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:30:44 +0100
> From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
>=20
> =C0 (At) 11:02 -0500 14/12/02, Steve Weyer =E9crivait (wrote) :
>> I've usually used PkgBuddy (free from Tactile),
>> though I suppose you could send it as an attachment via SimpleMail;
>> maybe also NPDS or EETerminal ?
>=20
> NPDS doesn't do it. EETransfer isn't mentioned in the FAQ. I think
> EnRoute does it.
>=20
>> (there should be some info in FAQ about this)
>=20
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB3b
>=20
> Also, SimpleMail, EnRoute and PkgBuddy don't use the same method.
> EnRoute seems to be the more buggy one but the others also fail on
> some packages.
>=20
> They all should work with a book of a reasonable size.

now that my brain's more awake. other options include X-Port.
even Sloup will transfer packages (given some desktop tools to handle the
debinhex, e.g., NewtDump, NewtonLink).

> The thing is that books are packages. And on the Newton, packages are
> relocated.
> That's why I talked of various methods. There isn't any system call
> (well, I think there is one but it's not easy to use) to do that
> relocation. So all these software do it their own way. Last time I
> saw SimpleMail and PkgBuddy code they were both forgetting something
> (not the same thing). For most packages, both work, but as far as I
> know there isn't any method we have the source code of that perfectly
> relocates packages.

I wrote the code that's used by Sloup, PkgBuddy, X-Port to "fix" the
absolute package pointers (I thought there might be something in the
transport layer that would do this, but couldn't figure out where it was).
if someone wants to improve/reuse/redistribute my code, contact me off list=
.

--=20
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com
Newton apps/tools: Newt's Cape, newtVNC, NewtDevEnv, Waba, Sloup, Crypto,..=
.
  http://www.kagi.com/weyer/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html