Re: [NTLK] Web boards vs Mail List was ATTENTION. Please read this.

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 13:07:00 EST

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 07:56 AM, Steve Vander Ark wrote:

>> NO OFFENSE to anyone, but i would say it is from mostly the
>> newbies. alot of them are the ones who i think dont like to
>> see alot of email in thier boxes and would rather go
>> somehwere and chat out their problems instead get a more
>> personalized, more direct interaction with their problems.

<snip>
> There are some groups, the ones that
> are most important, like boards I'm a board member of, that I set to
> send me messages in email.
<snip>
I have setup a separate account for my Newtontalk mails, so I don't
need to filter. Also, using Jaguars mail client, I have set the
Newtontalk account to NOT check for mail automatically with the rest of
my mail accounts. This prevents the deluge of NT mail from
distracting, from other work or from "real" emails.
If you don't have the luxury of making new accounts at will, then the
digest helps too.
<snip>.
> I have to check it each time in case it's something I need to deal
> with,
> so I can't just pretend NewtonTalk doesn't exist and scan messages
> later.
That is exactly what I do now.
> Frankly, it's annoying. With a forum, I am in control of that
> information stream. That's critically important if you're working in an
> information management job like mine.
<hehe> I think forums are much more annoying personally, you have to
deal with the much slower web based interface and forget about reading
it from Newt.I can read NT via simplemail quite nicely now. Although my
Newtonbook idea would be even nicer....
<snip>
Sounds like you are very busy Steve.
<snip>
> Instead of managing the stream of Newton
> information, I'm drowning in it.
It is an eyeful that is for sure....
> I love being connected to the Newton community, but I am seriously
> considering dropping out of NewtonTalk. It's just too much.
> <snip>
Hang in there,
Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html