Re: [NTLK] ATTENTION. Please read this

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 11:45:10 EST

NewtonGuy <newton2100_at_alltel.net> wrote:

(*snip*)

> I for one need to leave home some times. if I leave for two days I
can
> look forward to 1000 or more e-mails just from newton talk.

Digest mode is your friend.

> I have considered dropping the list but I subscribed so I could get
> heads up on new software or software I have not heard of since
> I am new.

Well, it can't hurt to pick up a UNNA CD .....

> I am in the military and I may be leaving for duty for an extended
> period of time in which I will not be able to check my e-mail. My
ISP
> only allows so many e-mails on the server before they start to
reject
> new ones. I will therefore have to drop the list at that time.

Ah, military life ... I remember it well. Except for the idiots I
worked for those last two years, it was good.

I was on an aircraft carrier, where we had internet access. Ideally,
you should be able to check your e-mail via the web -- if your ISP is
up to snuff. But, as you say, there is a limit to the number of
messages you can have (my niece had *10,000* messages in her mailbox
last week, from not deleting all that spam that built up while she was
away for a month). As this list does generate a lot of traffic, again
I say "Digest mode is your friend."

> It is a shame too because I have learned allot about the newton
from
> this list.

Me too ...!

Check with your (future?) command, and see if they have internet
access, and adjust your NewtonTalk settings accordingly.

Good luck .....

--gdw

P.S.:

Navy, Cryptologic Technician (Maintenance) Second Class, and 14 years,
if you're wondering .... why not 20? The idiots I worked for --!

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html