Re: [NTLK] English dictionary with phonetic spelling / phonetic (old)

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 06:00:18 EST

on 17-12-2002 11:34, Paul Guyot at pguyot_at_kallisys.net wrote:

> Er. If you disable the built-in dictionaries, handwriting recognition
> and spell checking will not take advantage of them.

Exactly, so it will only use the Dutch dictionary that is already installed
and in use.
Which makes me wonder, can I also load the French dictionary and use Dict
Mngr to switch between different dictionaries, or should I just freeze and
thaw?

>>> In fact, I would suggest not to install DictMgr if you
>>> don't want to have an improved recognition by disabling the ROM
>>> dictionaries.
>>
>> But isn't that exactly what users of custom dictionaries want?
>
> Indeed. But you already get an improved recognition with both
> built-in and package dictionaries. Although sometimes I shout on my
> Newton for recognizing example instead of exemple (plus alt.rec....
> won't tell me if the English dictionary is enabled).

But disabling the internal dictionary definitely gives me better recognition
in Dutch, simply because it only looks in the right dictionary.
Now if I use English words in Dutch it's another story, of course ;-)

>> It turns out that if I turn off the internal dictionary that SAS's SpellMan
>> actually uses the Dutch dictionary.
>> (I don't know about other spell checkers)
>
> They'll probably all behave the same.
> The problem is (in my experience) that I don't change the algorithm
> to give alternatives. In particular, the built-in algorithm in
> NewtonOS Int'l is particularly ignorant of accents.

Haven't tried with French yet and Dutch hardly uses any accents at all, will
check it out...

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html