Re: [NTLK] Making Battery Trays..

From: John M. Powell (jp_at_iwillbefree.com)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 15:31:34 EST

> You can modify a cage to do just that. A couple sites has info, but
> I can't remember the URLs. Marco's may have been one of them.
> -James

The link I had is no longer available. I do however have the page
saved locally if you need it.

> >Actually the NiMH battery pack has metal contact to "tell" the Newt
> >it's rechargeable.

It's more than simply a metal contact. There's a thermistor in the
circuit to help regulate the charge cycle. Placememt of the thermistor
is important... has to be right up against the batteries for proper
feedback to the charge circuitry.

> >I would definitely buy a couple of trays that supported both AA NimH
> >and AA alkalines. I'd go up to $40 each on those.
> >Marty

The modified trays would support any type of battery you put in there.
The problem is, the tray won't be intelligent. Anotherwords, if you have
non-rechargeables in there and plug in your adapter, it's going to try
to charge your batteries. That would not be a good thing.

John Powell

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html