Re: [NTLK] 802.11 Card Antenna Sizes

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 13:52:21 EST

On 19/12/02 13:29, "Dave Christensen" <dave_at_newrivergroup.com> wrote:

> Mundane question...
>
> I hve an SMC 2632W card in my 2x00 right now, works well
> with one exception, the antenna sticks out another inch or
> 1.5 inches in straight line with the card. Basically this
> means I cant leave it in all the time, and leaves me afraid
> I will break it off, or worse break the newton internals
> when it put it in and take it out of my BDU pockets.
>
> Is there another card that has the antenna in more of a box
> form factor that would hug the side of the newton better and
> only stick out a half inch or so?
>
> (Appologies to the rest of the world for our antiquated
> measurement system)

The Lucent WaveLan/ORiNOCO has just an extension to the card that comes out
by about 1 inch. You still have to be careful but it seems a bit better than
what I understand from your description.

-Laurent.

candygrammar n.: A programming-language grammar that is mostly syntactic
sugar; the term is also a play on `candygram'. COBOL, Apple's Hypertalk
language, and a lot of the so-called `4GL' database languages share this
property. The usual intent of such designs is that they be as English-like
as possible, on the theory that they will then be easier for unskilled
people to program. This intention comes to grief on the reality that syntax
isn't what makes programming hard; it's the mental effort and organization
required to specify an algorithm precisely that costs. Thus the invariable
result is that `candygrammar' languages are just as difficult to program in
as terser ones, and far more painful for the experienced hacker.