Re: [NTLK] [OT] Christmas.

From: fussili_at_mac.com
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 15:30:03 EST

On Tuesday, December 24, 2002, at 11:32 am, Andy Collins wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Well, it's that time again and I'd like to take this opportunity to wish
> everyone on the list a Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.
>
> I also though it would be interesting to find out how you will be
> celebrating - if at all.
>
> Over here in the UK the shops have been packed with busy shoppers
> frantically stocking up with food and goodies. The fact is that most major
> supermarkets will be open again on Boxing Day (26th) and we only have to
> cope for about 36 hours. The retail industry will be hoping for millions
> of
> pounds of spending between Christmas and the new year, when the shops close
> again for 24 hours. Then it's all over again until next year.

   Yep and boy am I glad that Amazon.co.uk gave free delivery =] No Christmas
shopping needed for me =]

> This is my son Jack's second Christmas and he's still a bit young to know
> what's going on, though he delights in spotting the various Santas and
> snowmen that are scattered around the house. He's still at the stage where
> the boxes the present come in have most appeal but that means I get to play
> with the great gifts.

   I'm convinced that unwrapping presents when you're young is far more fun
than the toys you get in them. I recommend keeping the boxes so you can put
it all back when you've finished with the toys so your spouse isn't any wiser.

> We're gearing up to consume huge quantities of Turkey - the only time I eat
> the stuff. Why do we need a 12lb turkey between 5 people? a British
> tradition I think! More family arriving in the afternoon and an evening of
> chatting, drinking and trying to persuade people that they need to eat more
> turkey!

   Thats another thing! Why do we eat turkey in Britain?? I can easily understand
Turkey in the US (they domesticated the turkey - they used to be able to fly
at 35mph!!) but why did it replace the old English goose? Did it just not
taste as good?
   On the subject of eating vast amounts of christmas turkey our meals are
punctuated by stuffing-related jokes.. I have a whole Star Trek "Stuffing
Levels" related skit going at the moment "Sir she just canna take any more
stuffing!" man I'm sad but its funny =]

   In the words of Dickins' Tiny Tim
        "God Bless us... Every newt"

   Merry Christmas Listers!!1