Re: [NTLK] Useless(?) update function

From: Newtvana (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 12:36:13 EST

On Friday, December 27, 2002, at 05:37 AM, Phil Denton wrote:

> "Enter the number of a provider of Newton updates"

Okay, my mistake. I was the one who offered up that there might need to
be a hack to change the number. I should have checked on the Newt itself.

Now that we know that there's no specific 1-800 number that would have
to be set up, it seems that any phone number could be used. And that
anyone who was interested could provide this as a service, even
part-time through pre-arranging the connection time.

Now all we need to know is what the call is all about. My guess is that
it uses the same AppleTalk based protocols, but that is only a guess.
How would someone go about finding this out? Could someone simply have
their newt dial up a modem and see what comes out on the TTY? I don't
have a way of doing this, but I'm sure others are more inventive.

(Even if this exercise doesn't pan out to be useful, it's still fun to
explore our little friend's darken corridors...)

...Ross...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html