Re: [NTLK] MP 2100 & Internet w/o a Mac?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 19:23:00 EST

It all depends on how your network is configured.
Are you running static IPs or DHCP?
If you're running DHCP, then setting up your Newt for
a network connection is easy. Just create a new
internet slip with a correct name, select DHCP server
as the configuration, find your NIC in the card pull
down, fill in your domain name and you're done.

Static IPs are basically the same except that you need
to know your subnet mask, gateway and primary DNS
servers...but still basically easy enough to get done.

Now, if you are really using a hub and not a router,
then you need to use some kind of Proxy. An easy fast
to set up proxy is JanaProx. You also have WinRoute
and Winproxy. WinRoute is not XP capable, so be
carefull. But since you are running a Linux machine,
you are probably using some kind of Proxy...

BTW, I have my Newton's connected to the internet all
the time. My newton is setup as a DHCP and gets an IP
from the DHCP server. My Newton at home is static and
is connected to the net basically as I described
above.
If you have further wquestions, don't hesitate to ask.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jim Hill <jimhill_at_swcp.com> wrote:

> Maybe someone out there can answer this (and maybe
> I'll find the answer
> to be plasing in my sight <grin>):
>
> At home, I have a LAN. I am connected to the 'net
> via a DSL connection.
> The connection is to a dual-ethernet-carded PC
> running Linux and doing
> all the firewall and NAT things. The card not
> connected to my wall jack
> is connected to a hub, off which is hanging a
> PowerBook G4. As a
> standalone device, I have an old LC III, which I can
> use to get software
> onto my recently-acquired MP 2100, including drivers
> for the ethernet
> card I just snagged off eBay for ten bucks and
> change.
>
> Is it possible, with an internet-software-loaded MP
> 2100, to do 'net
> things strictly as a DHCP client of the Linux box?
> I get a bad feeling
> that the answer is "No", because everything I've
> read about Newtons and
> Ethernets always seems to involve AppleTalk & a Mac
> at some point.
>
> Advice, solutions, and casual criticism is
> encouraged

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -