Re: [NTLK] Just need a rant...

From: ianfoster (ianfoster_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 13:32:32 EST

On 2/3/02 9:55 AM, "Brian Pearce" <bpearce_at_cloud9.net> wrote:

>=20
>> And, rumour has it that the amount of money that Bill Gates invested
>> seems like a lot, but all the rumours I've heard mention that Apple
>> had a big chunk of cash on hand even through that period. So
>> although $150 million ain't hay, it wasn't as if Apple was starving.
>=20
> Apple's problems in the era immediately before the return of Steve Jobs w=
ere
> largely internal disorganization; but despite this (and the alarming pres=
s to
> the contrary, which still continues in spite of the company's more recent
> success), the company was still in solid financial condition. Microsoft's
> investment was largely a PR maneuver that gave Apple the illusion of stab=
ility
> (even if it wasn't really necessary).
>=20
> BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net
>=20
>=20
Yes. Apple has consistently reported, over the last 5 years, cash on hand
from $2 Billion to $4 billion USD - yes that=B9s BILLION, and the $150 mil
from M$ was an attempt by Gates and his gang to head off the impending
monopoly lawsuits, amongst other things. As with most things Microsoft, it
failed. There was also talk that the M$ payment was part of a legal
settlement.......
Current cash reserves at Apple are around $4 billion USD. Apple has always
made much more profit per machine than any other computer maker - and still
does. That=B9s why these 2100's we are buying are 5 years old and still worth
$150 - 300 USD. More than most new PDA's.
The best croissants are always very expensive.....