Re: [NTLK] Wildcat for X

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 10:24:09 EST

On 04/02/02 10:05, "Rolf Brakvatne" <rbrak29_at_qwest.net> wrote:

> on 2/3/02 10:33 PM, Laurent Daudelin at nemesys_at_cox.rr.com wrote:
>

>> on 02/02/02 16:59, Rolf Brakvatne at rbrak29_at_qwest.net wrote:
>>
>>> Any possibility that Wildcat (or something similar) can be ported to X
>>> for import of QIF files into the X environment? Catamount says that no
>>> port in the works.
>>
>> Yep, and it won't probably never happen. Catamount was nice while they
>> (Hardy) was cashing some money from us, but he moved up now that the cow
>> doesn't give any milk anymore...
>>
>> -Laurent.
>

> Too bad, it seems like an easy port. They will have an X conduit for their
> Palm product out in the end of February.

I think the problem here would probably be the same problem that people who
would like to have an OS X version of NCU are facing: the Desktop
Integration Libraries (DIL) that Apple did provide to developers at the time
the Newton was still supported, were libraries with a lot of legacy code.
Since Apple is unlikely to "update" those libraries to make them OS X
compatible, and since Apple is also unlikely to release the source code,
that means that someone would have to rewrite those libraries from scratch,
without any support from Apple. That's a very tough job, and the only one I
know who I would bet on to write those beasts would be Paul Guyot. But he
has other problems at this time...

-Laurent.

bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying to produce
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rich Cook