Re: [NTLK] Just need a rant...

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 16:36:45 EST

On Monday, February 4, 2002, at 11:41 PM, Patrick Jendraszak wrote:

> MacNeill suggests that
> this is one reason why the Newton had to be killed rather than
> spun-off ... just in case the technology would really help someone other
> than Apple.

This is almost certainly why Apple refused to sell the Newton
intellectual property. If someone else had the Newton OS, they could've
competed with the PowerBook... which was (and perhaps still is) Apple's
highest margin product. In fact, the eMate and MP 2100 were already
taking away PowerBook sales, I have no doubt. In addition to that, the
Newton engineers would also have needed to go to any purchasing company,
and Apple needed them for other projects (i.e. iBook).

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj