Re: [NTLK] printing to a network printer

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:05:09 EST

On 05/02/02 16:34, "Josh Ormsby" <ormsby_at_mpi.com> wrote:

>> On 05/02/02 09:39, "Josh Ormsby" <ormsby_at_mpi.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am using an ethernet connection, and I can "Choose Network
>>> LaserWriter" on the print slip, But I cannot send anything there.
>>>
>>> When I sent the Works document to the printer I get an error saying "NO
>>> printer connected".
>>>
>>> I know the network supports AppleTalk because I can search for a printer
>>> and see the other "Zones". Does the printer need some kind of
>>> configuration?
>>
>> Josh,
>>
>> When you select "Print", from the routing menu, a dialog should appear.
>> There is a popup menu in the middle of the dialog that says "Printer".
>> Do you have a printer name appearing next to this popup? If not, tap the
>> "Printer" popup, then select "Choose Network LaserWriter". A dialog should
>> appear and you should see your printer's name appearing there. Tap it's name
>> to highlight it, then tap the close button. The name should now appear next
>> to the "Printer" label.
>>
>> If any of this doesn't work, then maybe your physical connection is
>> defective, one of your LocalTalk/PhoneNet connector is broken. Or the
>> printer isn't a network PostScript LaserWriter. What kind of printer is
>> this, BTW?
>>
>> -Laurent.
>> --
>
> Laurent,
>
> The printer name does appear in the print popup.
>
> The physical connection seems to be OK. The printer is working from my
> desktop.
>
> It's a HP LaserJet 8150 N.

Josh,

Do you know if the printer has AppleTalk enabled? Did you download the HP
printer utility that would let you manager this printer? This printer is
also Ethernet 10BaseT ready, so are you using a NOS 2.1-based Newton, with
an Ethernet card? If so, what kind of connection do you physically have with
the printer? A direct connection? A hub between the 2 of them? A
router/switch?

-Laurent.

bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying to produce
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rich Cook