Re: [NTLK] E-mail on an MP120

From: David Golden (ikondave_at_charter.net)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 16:47:52 EST

on 2/6/02 3:06 PM, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com wrote:

> On 07/02/02 15:23, "Russ Bravo" <russbravo_at_lineone.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Have successfully dialled up with my MP120 (2.0) using SimpleMail.
>> But it then seems to spend forever looking for either my smtp server
>> (when I want to send) or my pop3 server (when I want to receive).
>>
>> I have only got 2mb memory and it's mostly taken. Is that the reason?
>> Or should the MP120 find the servers much quicker and I've got some
>> other problem?
>
> A lot of factors can come into play here. First, you need to understand and
> accept that an MP120 is really slow ;-)
>
> Then, you're not telling us, but a modem can also be pretty slow. If your
> phone line is noisy, the modem may have to connect at a slower speed
> resulting in an even slower connection.
>
> Then, if you're using a URL (like smtp-server.cox.com) to access your mail
> server, and if the DNS server is slow or overloaded, you might get a penalty
> hit again on the performance. If you can discover the actual IP address of
> the server, SimpleMail would connect directly to it, without the need to go
> through the DNS server. I'm not sure however that this would be a
> significant speedup, but you can try it. Keep in mind that should your ISP
> change the mail server, using a direct IP address may result in SimpleMail
> not being able to find the server anymore, while a DNS server will always
> return the IP address mapped to the machine that is assigned for this
> function.
>
> -Laurent.

The only way I was ever able to get email on my MP120 was to use SimpleMail
and remove every other app that I didn't need. I had read somewhere that the
MP memory usage would spike at various points through the connection
process, so freeing up lots of memory would increase speed and decrease the
likelihood of a disconnect. This is of course a very limiting option, but at
that time I was interested in confirming my 120's email capabilities. Once I
found that it worked, I returned the MP 120 it's previous status; using it
for backup ( mainly addresses ), text reading and game playing .

Dave