Re: [NTLK] Can you say infringement?

From: David Golden (ikondave_at_charter.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 15:33:36 EST

on 2/7/02 1:54 PM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Somehow I don't believe this. I have never known Apple
> to "Give" anything away!
> The logo doesn't die just because the product does, as
> long as the owner maintains due diligence, then it
> remains valid!
> As for them saying that they have changed the
> logo...uh, NOT! Check out what I put together:
> http://newton.tek-ed.com/blatant.html
>
> Ed
> web/gadget guru
> http://newton.tek-ed.com (download Newton packages)
> http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

Hiya -

In one of my previous incarnations, I was an art director in the wacky world
of advertising. I briefly worked for a dress manufacturer, who instructed me
to rip off a big hunk of important copy from a competitor's advert. I told
him that was a legal no no, and he told me to shut up. With in three days of
the ad's appearance in the NY Times, I received a cease and desist letter,
addressed to me personally, from a very large law firm. I told my crackpot
employer that if he ever gave me similar marching orders, I would quit. Two
weeks later, I quit. I have been on the other end of this equation, too. And
let me tell you... it's no fun seeing one's design efforts being ripped off.
I believe the legal rule of thumb is that the new design must be at least
20% different than it's inspiration. These idiots didn't even make a honest
attempt to create a semblance of originality to their art work! Apple should
go after them.

Dave