Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Michael Bain (UIDnt0102_at_macboy.homeip.net)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 17:16:18 EST

* Bradford Schmidt <brad_at_jojoro.com> [ 8 Feb 2002 10:39]:

> >> Granted, OS X is a mess, and in my opinion, the greatest mistake Apple=
> ever
> > >made, and it may be their downfall if the unix geeks of the world don't=
> buy
> > >it. ;-)
>
> >Are you kidding? I think OS X is fantastic! Blows away Windows XP / NT.
>
> You know, I was an os x early adopter (started with beta) and was truly=
> hosed for my loyalty as os x was IMHO beta until 10.1

OS X has undergone a *large* improvement since it's conception. I got to
play with DP 3 for a short time. The PB was an improvement on *that*.
I've been using OS X as my primary desktop since 10.0.3, which was
painful; 10.1 is worlds better. Whatever the warts of OS X, I find I can
work in it much more effectively than in OS 9. This is mostly because of
XDarwin, and the fact I tend to play with *nix boxen. Being able to
seamlessly flick between mutt/ssh/licq/gvim/xterms, iCab, iTunes,
Quicken, and NCU, *and* mount both NFS and SMB shares in the Finder is
absolute heaven! Particularly at work, which is a Windows shop with a
few L*nux servers thrown in for good measure.

> However, I am curious to know what you are running it on - I have a G4 400=
> with a gig of ram, and I think it's slow - I still like 9 for speed. I=
> have a G3 Powerbook and a G3 Tower (B&W) and find it ridiculous on them.=

iBook 500 (Dual USB) (mmmmm, Chicklet...) w/ 128 megs of RAM. Perhaps
I've just become used to it, but I don't find it slow. (Probably slower
than the 1.5GHz P4 at work, but certainly not 1/3 the speed)

> AND, as for XP, after being a mac guy for years, I recently purchased a=
> new Athlon 1800 based box running XP and I actually like the OS (please,=
> no flames - I call em as I see em). OS X is beautiful, but I really liked=
> how simple 9 was....So now I use everything...

I haven't played with XP, but I have to grudgingly admit that my W2k box
at work is starting to approach becoming a possibly useable OS. (I still
wouldn't choose to use it at home, but I don't need to be forced at
gunpoint to use it at work...) However, that dosen't stop me from doing
all the work that I can on my iBook...

Mike

--
Michael Bain           | One day I want to look through three hundred
mike_at_macboy.homeip.net | thousand kilometres of space and say: