[NTLK] RRe: OSX - OT

From: John Cleary (john_cleary_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 17:36:42 EST

You know, as far as speed goes it's all relative! I use OSX every day on my
PB550, and when I boot back into 9 some things are faster, but the overall
system runs slower from a usability point of view. I HATE the fact that when
an application is doing something I can't do anything else while waiting.
Drives me absolutely nuts! Same for internet game play, the TCP stack is so
beautifully robust under X, I always got dropouts under 9.

As far as the "single app" speed goes, i.e. Just running FCP for a video
editing session, OS 9 is faster. Overall though, having used OSX for a while
now, I find it very hard to go back to an OS that makes ME wait for IT,
instead of vica versa!

I would suggest that all you people out there who don't like it need a bit
of time with the OS. It seeled glacial to me at first, like far far far to
slow, but I realised that this is just an ilusion of speed in OS9, because
there is pathetic multitasking...

Just my thoughts,

John

P.S. Oh, and when word crashes my system keeps running great, which is
lovely! :)