Re: [NTLK] Apple PDA?

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 00:46:54 EST

>I think it's not necessary a PalmOS device, maybe some other OS I really
>can't imagine Palm OS working with a real harddrive with a real file
>system.

The HandEra 330 PalmOS clone already does support real hard drives with
real file systems. All recent PalmOS units do, in fact. The HandEra
has the broadest support for CF "disk" cards (memory or rotating media),
and even supports the IBM Compact Flash (type II) Card 1 gigabyte
Microdrives. It even supports those drives by having twice the battery
capacity of normal PalmOS units too, as it has not 2 but 4 AAA batts, or
a REMOVABLE lithium-ion battery pack (most PDAs these days don't have
removable L-Ion batt packs)

And I've got to tell you, this card support is handy as hell. Beats the
Newton's soups and NCU all to hell and back. I can swap files and
transfer data between my Mac at home, PeeCee at work, my HandEra, and the
$299 HP Jornada 548 PocketPC I recently picked up with no problems via my
128MB CF card. The Jornadao will only take the type I CF Cards, so it
won't take a IBM Microdrive, but other CF cards work dandy.

They show up as standard Windows format hard disks. You can run apps,
access data, etc directly from the card.

The HandEra 330 also supports SD and MMC cards. Tiny little buggers
about the size of a regular postage stamp. ANd very thin. Same support
as for the CF card.

Via Springboard modules, the HandSpring Visor PalmOS clones can also
support CF, Smartmedia, and I think SD/MMC and MemoryStick too.

And of course the Sony Clie PalmOS clones support the MemoryStick cards
the same way as the other clones support SD/MMC/CF. (Now if we could
just get them all to agree on a standard...and the standard should be CF!)

I think I saw a PocketPC with both SD and CF support too.

Both my Jornada PocketPC unit and HandEra PalmOS clone support the
various CF WiFi (AirPort) wireless net cards too. Might have to get me
one now.

 - Bill Davis