Re: [NTLK] Dialing with the Newt

From: James Elliott (rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 14:37:52 EST

Okay. I guess that I was being stupid. I never held the mic against
the Newt, but just a couple of centimetres away. I didn't think that
noise would be that big a problem. Now I have gotten the phone to
recognise what the Newt says.
Now I have another problem, though. When I try to dial someone who
has the same area code as me (for instance, (513)523-4324), the Newt
leaves out the area code, but still dials the 1 before it. The end
result is this: 1-523-4324. Needless to say, this won't fly. I
can't figure out how to get it to ditch the 1 for local calls.

-James

>I use this feature all of the time. It's great.
>
>What I do is set the Newt on my desk (it's usually flat, in its case)
>then set it to dial, pick up the phone from the cradle, and literally
>put the phone's mouthpiece, or mike, directly on the Newt's speaker. If
>I only hold the mouthpiece close to the speaker, other noise in my
>office (or the volume of the tones) may interfere.
>
>If you are just holding the Newt close to the phone, perhaps the tone is
>not loud enough to set off the "trigger" in the phone system for the
>numbers. Try literally holding the phone on the Newton.
>
>If this were just happening on one phone, I would ask if the phone was
>set to pulse as opposed to tone dialing, but I believe that you said you
>have tried this on multiple phones.
>
>Patrick

The James Elliott Newton Site:
http://www.geocities.com/rootbeeraddict/newton.html
All work and no play makes James a dull boy and prevents this week's update.