Re: [NTLK] OSX - OT

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 05:41:19 EST

Benjamin,

> In a desktop world of all machine's primary storage is Harddrive and even a
> word document can be a few hundred K big I don't think it's possible.

You're getting the point! Why is an MS Word document so big? The reason is
purely artificial - look at a Word file with only one character in it that
occupies 32k in a file editor - it's full of padding and rubbish to make it
hard to read in previous versions of Word.

Don't start from what desktop machines have become - artificially bloated,
inefficient and wasteful - start from what they should be.

When OS X devotes >100MB of RAM just to render the screen does that not make
you wonder what is going on? When your system folder contains 100,000 files
does it not give you pause?

Joel.