[NTLK] UUNET pulls Genuity POP's

From: rminton_at_commscope.com
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 09:00:32 EST

I woke up to a shock last night. UUNET apparently has purchased some or all of
Genuity's network. My ISP which uses a lot of POP's as part of their national
network that were set up by Genuity found out as of Friday that UUNET was
turning about 400 of them off as of Sunday midnight. Consequently my home
dial-up service is no more and I'm left with a choice of only local ISP's
charging upwards of $25/month for 56K access. I'll bet complaints to UUNET
wouldn't do any good because they're so big that they just wouldn't give a darn
about a few users left out in the cold.

Funny thing is this is in Catawba County, NC. We have Corning, Alcatel and
CommScope here making about 80% of the country's supply of fiber, coax and LAN
cable and yet we're in the backwaters of the Internet.

Randy